National Transportation Week
National Transportation Week is an opportunity to increase the awareness and appreciation of the transportation industry and to celebrate the community of transportation professionals who keep our country on the move.
Schedule of Events
- MON. May 11 — Free ice cream and Free Fare Day on MATBUS. Ride MATBUS free (fixed routes only) all day across the FM metro area. There will be free ice cream and other activities from 1-3 just south of the Memorial Union. Have a free orange or root beer float. Meet local radio personalities from Y94. Have you ever wanted to be featured on the side of a bus? Here's your chance. Look for the bus and sign your name and leave a message in support of transportation.
- TUE. May 12 — Open House from 2-4 p.m. at the Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute. See the UGPTI's newly-remodeled offices on the fourth floor of the Quentin Burdick Building and in the lower level of Hastings Hall. Meet staff and students and view posters of recent research.
- WED. May 13 — Who's been workin' on the Railroad? Dan Zink has. He's been working with the Red River Valley and Western Railroad, a North Dakota short line railroad, for more than 20 years. He'll draw his experience to provide a look ahead at trends, troubles and opportunities in North Dakota rail freight. Memorial Union, Arikara Room, 1-2 p.m.
- THU. May 14 — The critical link in the supply chain is 3PL. CH Robinson, a third-party logistics (3PL) company with its roots in North Dakota is one of the world's largest. The general manager of the company's Fargo office, Shaun Bruggeman, will provide his perspective on logistics and the supply chain. Memorial Union, Hidatsa Room, 10-11 a.m.
- Studies indicate that 54 percent of the transportation workforce will be eligible to retire in the next 10 years— double the retirement rate of the nation’s entire workforce.